Try My New 5 Minute Confidence Boosting Morning Movement Class
If you want to add a few stretches and wellness moves to your morning routine, my new 5 minute confidence boosting morning movement class could be just the ticket!
It’s an activity taken from my meditation guide book Inhale. Exhale. Repeat and it’s so easy to do.
You might be surprised at the movements used for this activity because they aren’t conventional stretches or cardio moves, they’re much more subtle than that. But there is a great advantage to be had from moving your body intentionally, and with purpose first thing in the morning.
What’s more by finding new postures and ways to move you’ll open yourself to even greater wellbeing, self expression and creativity during the day!
Try My New 5 Minute Confidence Boosting Morning Movement Class (5 minutes)
This is a fantastic movement sequence that encourages us to feel part of life, getting us ready to share our voice with the world. Try these moves standing upright, with your arms at your sides. Right, let’s get started!
- Gently sweep your right hand out at thigh height over the ground as though you are sowing seeds, turning your body from left to right moving the outstretched arm in an arc. Gently repeat this sowing motion from right to left with your left arm outstretched.
- Next, standing upright again, with both arms at your sides, bend to the right and look down at your right hand, then bring it in an arc-shape up and round, over the top of your head. Reach it as far over to the left as you can while watching it. When you are leaning over to the left as far as you can comfortably stretch, let the right arm just swing back round. Now do the same with your left arm, leaning over to the right.
- Stand back straight and look out at the horizon, raising your left arm up straight in front of you and moving it all the way round the left, following your hand with your face as your turn – all the time surveying the morning horizon. Do the same with the right hand.
- Now imagine walking up a mountain: start by marching on the spot with your knees raised high for a few moments.
- Having marched to the top, stand still and bring both arms up and out in front of you before letting them open out to your sides. Then place your hands, palms down, on your lower back. Lean back ever so slightly and open up your chest, out to the world.
- Drop your hands back to your sides and make both your hands into loose fists. Then, using your knuckles, begin to tap gently around your chest and the front and back of your ribcage. Let out a little ‘ahhh . . . ’ sound as you tap, before letting your hands fall to your sides again.
- Last but not least, let’s use the voice you’ll take out into the world. Start by making the lowest note you can possibly make on your next out-breath – perhaps it’s a deep ‘huur’ sound. Then, on your next out-breath, make a sound that’s in between your highest and lowest sound. Finally, on your next exhale make the highest pitched sound you can. Stamp your feet several times confidently on the spot to ground yourself. Now you are ready and (hopefully) keen to take your place in the world!
TIP: Go gently and move at the pace that suits you best. When performed mindfully, your stretches can become part of your morning meditation.